Here’s how to make goat cheese pizza, with gooey pockets of cheese and a tangy tomato sauce. It’s irresistible!
When it comes to pizza toppings, there’s one that is always, always a hit in our house. Goat cheese! This Goat Cheese Pizza is a true masterpiece, pairing soft pockets of chevre with tangy, garlicky tomato sauce. Shower it with a few sliced onions and a sprinkle of fresh basil, and we promise: the slices will be gone in a flash! This one is a massive crowd pleaser. And side bonus: our son loves it because it reminds us of the game Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza! (Perfect for game night?)
Ingredients in goat cheese pizza
There are loads of different types of toppings you can use for goat cheese pizza (we’ll get to that later). But our favorite is simple and classic: our best pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pockets of fluffy chevre. It reminds us of our favorite Baked Goat Cheese Dip, inspired by our favorite dish at a local pizzeria. Here are the elements you’ll need:
- Pizza dough: our favorites are Best Pizza Dough, Thin Crust Pizza Dough and Pizza Oven Dough, but there are a few more options below
- Pizza sauce: This Homemade Pizza Sauce is a must! The flavor is the best you’ll ever have (we promise)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: it’s a must to hold together the texture, even with the goat cheese
- Soft goat cheese (chevre): a soft log of goat cheese, not aged or crumbles
- Red onion slices
- Dried oregano
- Fresh basil, for garnish
For the pizza dough
The trick to the best pizza? Homemade pizza dough. There are several options for dough depending on your preferences and what tools you have available. Here are a few options:
- Best Pizza Dough: The standard! This is our best oven pizza dough and works best on a pizza stone
- Thin Crust Pizza Dough: It’s easy and you can roll it out instead of stretching it. It’s also slightly healthier since there is less dough.
- Pizza Oven Dough: Got a pizza oven? This is the dough recipe for you.
- Perfect Pan Pizza: Make your pizza in a cast-iron skillet! Takes a little longer but no special tools required.
- Best-Ever Sheet Pan Pizza: This one makes a double recipe in a large sheet pan: perfect for serving a crowd!
Homemade pizza sauce is a must
When we say you must make this homemade pizza sauce: we mean it! This recipe is one of the most loved on our website and the most made in our house. Here’s why:
- It tastes incredible. One spoonful and you’ll be singing its praises! Fire roasted canned tomatoes make magic with their sweet, smoky flavor.
- It takes 5 minutes! No cooking required. It’s SO simple to whip up in a blender.
Variations on goat cheese pizza
Call us basic, but our favorite pizzas are red sauce pizzas. Want to vary up this goat cheese pizza though? There are lots of ways to accessorize cherve with different flavors on a homemade pizza:
- White pizza: Substitute it for the ricotta in this White Pizza (make sure the goat cheese is room temperature so it’s easy to spread)
- Caramelized onions: Spread olive oil on the dough, then top with caramelized onions and dollops of cheese
- Avocado: Make Veggie & Avocado Pizza with bell peppers, avocado, goat cheese and basil
- Prosciutto: Add prosciutto to the recipe below for even more savory flavor
- Arugula: Top with lightly dressed baby arugula a la Ultimate Arugula Pizza