This keto drink mix is an easy and delicious alternative to drink packets to make an instant fruity beverage! No sugar needed, this homemade recipe is easily customizable with plenty of flavor options! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Drink Mix
When it comes to keto staples, my favorite recipes to make are salad dressing, frostings, and a keto drink mix.
Growing up, like many kids, water was the least preferred beverage of choice. If I could choose between soda, juices, boxed drinks and drink packets, they would all come before water.
My mom didn’t want my sister and me to drink soda (unless it was a special occasion), and juice was only available if it was freshly squeezed. However, on special occasions, she’d allow us to have a Kool-Aid flavored drink mix to add to our water. We used to fight over which flavor to choose and I recall after drinking it, we’d be buzzing with energy, thanks to all the sugar!
When I first started to make healthier changes, I still continued to drink Kool-Aid, but switched to their sugar free varieties. As I paid more attention to the ingredients used, I stopped cold turkey, because nobody wants chemicals in their body! Even though they are keto friendly, they have too many additives for me to want to continue drinking them. It was time to make a homemade version!
Drink mix or cordial?
Depending on where in the world you are located, you’d refer to today’s recipe as either a drink mix or a cordial. In Australia, cordial is a popular pre-mixed syrup (also known as a concentrate) that you add to water to create a fruity beverage.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto drink mix recipe for quite some time. It’s so much easier than keto powder drinks and needs just 2 ingredients to make. It’s a great alternative to sugar free soda and other low carb drinks. No sugar is needed, but you’d never tell. All you do is add 1 part drink mix to 3 parts water or seltzer and voila- You have an instant refreshing beverage that tastes amazing!
What I love about this drink mix is how easy it is to customize to suit your flavor preferences- I’ve made it with lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, and more!
How do you make a flavored drink mix?
- Lemon juice– Fresh or bottled lemon juice can be used. I prefer the fresh variety, as it has a more robust lemon flavor.
- Simple syrup– Homemade keto simple syrup. I always have a batch of this made in advance.
- Water or seltzer water– To serve!
- Start by whisking the lemon juice and simple syrup until completely combined. Set it aside while you sterilize the jars. In a dishwasher, add the jars and put them through a short cycle (10 minutes). As soon as they are cleaned, remove the hot jars from it and immediately add in the drink mix. Screw the lids on the jars immediately.
- When ready to serve, combine 1 part drink mix to 3 parts water (or seltzer/soda water) in glasses filled with ice. For a sweeter drink, add more of the drink mix or to dilute it, add more water.
The base ingredients make a lemon drink mix, but you can easily switch out the lemon for a plethora of other flavors. Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Raspberry: Blend 2 cups of raspberries until smooth. Put the raspberries through a fine mesh sieve, reserving the raspberry juice. Replace the lemon juice with the raspberry juice.
- Lime: Swap out half the lemon juice with lime juice.
- Cherry: Use 1/4 cup of unsweetened cherry juice instead of grape juice.
- Orange: Swap out 3/4 of the lemon juice with 1/4 cup of orange juice (approximately 2 large oranges).
- Grape: Use 1/4 cup of unsweetened grape juice instead of lemon juice.
To store: The drink mix can keep at room temperature, sealed, for up to 1 week. For the ultimate freshness, keep the mix stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
To freeze: Place the drink mix in shallow containers and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. The drink mix must be thawed completely before mixing it with water or seltzer.
Keto Drink Mix Recipe
- 1/4 cup keto simple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice * See notes
- 0.5 cup keto simple syrup
- 0.5 cup lemon juice * See notes
- 0.75 cup keto simple syrup
- 0.75 cup lemon juice * See notes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the keto simple syrup with lemon juice until combined.
- Pour the drink mix into sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- When ready to enjoy, combine 1 part drink mix with 3 parts iced water or chilled seltzer.