Jump into the season with a fall margarita! The combination of tequila, fresh lime, and spiced apple cider syrup can’t be beat.
Here’s a fall cocktail to add to your list this season: the Fall Margarita! A spiced apple cider syrup infuses major fall nostalgia into this simple drink. Add fresh lime and tequila and it’s the season’s signature drink! Whip it up as a single drink, or make a big pitcher to share with a crowd. Either way, it’s a cocktail to impress!
Ingredients for a fall margarita
The fall margarita is a spin on the classic margarita, one of the world’s most famous cocktails. This iconic drink was mostly likely invented in Mexico in the 1930’s. Margarita means “daisy” in Spanish; the Daisy is a historic family of drinks with base liquor, orange liqueur (Triple Sec or Cointreau), lemon juice, and soda water. For the fall version of this drink, we substituted apple cider syrup for the orange liqueur and it works surprisingly well. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 ounces tequila reposado (or tequila blanco)
- 1 ounce apple cider syrup
- ½ ounce lime juice
- For the glass: kosher salt, clear ice, and cinnamon stick or apple slices
Making apple cider syrup
The apple cider syrup is what makes this fall margarita sing! Adding apple syrup to a cocktail waters it down, but apple cider syrup infuses apple and cinnamon flavor as well as sweetness. It’s the perfect glue that holds this drink together! Here are a few things to note:
- It takes 30 minutes to make. Boil apple cider with sugar and a cinnamon stick for 30 to 35 minutes on the stovetop, until reduced and syrupy.
- Make a batch in advance. This is an easy component to make in advance and refrigerate until serving. It stores up to 2 weeks refrigerated.
- Make a double batch for a pitcher. If you’re making 8 drinks, make 1.5 times or double batch of the syrup! You’ll have leftover syrup, but the single recipe makes only ¾ cup.
Notes on clear ice
Clear ice is the final component for the best Fall Margarita! It’s crystal clear ice that makes your drink look like it came from a fancy bar. Cut it into large, organic chunks to take your cocktails to the next level. Here’s how to make it:
- Use a small cooler and 24 hours. Go to How to Make Clear Ice and make a batch the night before. Once you freeze it overnight, you can cut it into chunks.
- Alternatively, use a clear ice tray. There are now many clear ice trays and makers on the market. Try this ClearlyFrozen Home Clear Ice Maker!
Make a fall margarita pitcher
Want to make fall margaritas for a crowd? Make a fall margarita pitcher! This simple blend of the ingredients makes 8 drinks and you don’t have to dirty a cocktail shaker. Stir the following ingredients together in a pitcher, then pour into the prepared glasses:
- 2 cups tequila
- 1 cup apple cider syrup (make 1.5 or 2 times the recipe below!)
- ½ cup lime juice
- 3 handfuls ice
And that’s it! We hope you love this fall margarita recipe as much as we do! Make a big pitcher to share with friends and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Fall Margarita Recipe
For the fall margarita
- 2 ounces tequila reposado or tequila blanco
- 1 ounce apple cider syrup see below
- ½ ounce lime juice
- For the glass: kosher salt clear ice, and cinnamon stick or apple slices (optional)
For the apple cider syrup (makes ¾ cup)
- 4 cups apple cider
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Make the apple cider syrup: Place the apple cider, granulated sugar and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan. Bring to a low boil, then maintain a low boil for 30 to 35 minutes until reduced to ¾ cup. Use immediately or refrigerate until using (stores up to 2 weeks refrigerated).
- Prepare the glass: Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt.
- Make a single drink: Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Serve: Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with clear ice. If desired, garnish with a cinnamon stick or apple slices.
- For a margarita pitcher (8 servings): Place 2 cups tequila, 1 cup apple cider syrup (make 1.5 or 2 times the recipe above!) and ½ cup lime juice in a pitcher. Add 3 handfuls ice and stir until cold. Pour into the prepared glasses.